Friday 6 January 2017

ARTIST OF THE FLOATING WORLD

I've begin posting on a Wordpress blog, and so I'm going to post the same content here as well. I guess I'm trying to reanimate the dead a bit by coming back here with an echo of my other blog, but here it is the blog I posted in response to Wordpress's daily prompt to today's word "FLOAT". This is my first post here on WordPress. I have given my blog the name of a novel by Kazuo Ishiguro. The protagonist of that novel, Ono, is an unreliable narrator, and since I too can have an unreliable worldview, I adopted this novel’s title as my moniker. Because of his his inflated sense of his own grandiosity and importance, the picture Ono paints of himself is often at odds with the view the reader hold of him . I hope if you read this you won’t find that to be the case with me. No, my problem is not that I want to make myself look more accomplished or proficient than I am. I don’t care about that. Instead, I want is to use this blog to try to refocus my view of reality. My problem, and I’m guessing that it’s a problem shared by many equally befuddled individuals right now, is how to find what is true, important and meaningful in this seventeenth year of the twenty-first century. Our collective narrative has become so divided, fragmented, and hostile that the world has, in a lot of ways, stopped making sense. So I will be exploring the reasons we have entered a post-truth world, why it matters, and how to begin to devise an escape from our broken perspectives. I don’t have high hopes that I’ll be successful, but the effort of writing and thinking about our predicament might help me sort through the chaos a bit. Thank for reading this first attempt, and please let me know if you have the similar misgivings about the what passes as reality today. And if you do not hold such misgivings, I’d love to know why you are so certain you’re right. Again, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment